AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

grazing stalks, corn on corn and tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/20/2012 23:34 (#2708574 - in reply to #2708299)
Subject: RE: grazing stalks, corn on corn and tillage

Driftless SW Wisconsin

We have a very good sale barn not too far away (Bloomington (WI) Livestock Exchange). If I take a number of them in I would be at the sale and expect them to sell in the same price range as similar weight beef breeds.

If not I have no problem no-saling them and taking them home again.  But at Bloomington prices tend to be fair and more based on quality than maybe at some other places. I am not going to give them away.

We'll see what they weigh when they finish what corn I have available this year. I am hoping prices are up a bit by early spring.  They may be in the 1000-1050 lb range. Would not take too much more to finish them more conventionally. I've got a few putting on over 3.5 lb a day on just hay. One in particular I wish I had left as a bull.

I suspect that by spring next year there may be enough more demand than supply of certain cattle in certain places that buyers may just not be as concerned about hide color as they have been when there were a lot of cattle available. But time will tell.

Jim

Edited by Jim 11/20/2012 23:41
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)