AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dust Bowl
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

okpanhandle
Posted 11/19/2012 09:46 (#2705708 - in reply to #2705606)
Subject: RE: question for OK panhandle folks

Guymon, OK
jocoshar23 - 11/19/2012 07:32

the movie inspired me to do a little checking on google earth where this dust bowl occurred. And I see a lot of pivots and irrigation there today. I noticed some/a few fields that had a pivot and it appeared that there was nothing growing there.

Do you guys fallow a year or two to gain moisture even when a pivot is there? or what is a typical crop rotation? Or do you have water rights and for whatever reason the water was shut off on that particular field for that year? Just a few questions for you folks. I enjoy traveling and learning about agriculture in other places of the country to see how farmers do things different.

I just looked at Google Earth last week and the latest imagery from here is dated October 2011. The wheat was long gone (and the new crop was just getting planted), most of the milo didn't make it, and a lot of the corn was already cut for silage, baled, or harvested by then (harvest was really early last year). It's pretty disgusting imagery, hardly a bit of green to be found. You can see every new pipeline and oil well, though.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)