AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chisel plow bean stubble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

davpal
Posted 11/18/2012 19:28 (#2704582 - in reply to #2704343)
Subject: RE: Chisel plow bean stubble

Mid Michigan
I just had this conversation with my dad this week about chisel plowing bean stubble. He's for it, I'm thinking it's a waste of time and money and I hate to see the topsoil blow away in the winter. It seems like we've had about the same luck just going in the field in the spring and disking or field cultivating it and mulching it and planting it. In fact no till would probably be better yet but we're not really set up for that yet. When I really look at the bean fields with the stubble and the bean straw on top it almost seems like a perfect surface to leave for winter. It catches some of the snow, water seems to infiltrate pretty well, and the bean chaff keeps the soil in place. I've chiseled half a field before and the chiseled side was so bumpy in the spring and had dry humps and wet valleys and it was just miserable to go over in the spring. The part I didn't do fit up beautiful and had consistant moisture and the tractor was a lot more fun to ride on the non chiseled ground. Dad says it gets him off to a easier start in the spring because he has less time to get stuff ready. I think he just likes to ride on the tractor and do recreational chisel and moldboard plowing. So we had our usual comprimise. You do yours your way and I'll leave mine until spring! Not to mention I HATE RIDING MY SNOWMOBILES ON CHISEL PLOWED FIELDS!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)