AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Chisel plow bean stubble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Buster 50
Posted 11/18/2012 19:19 (#2704553 - in reply to #2704343)
Subject: RE: Chisel plow bean stubble

North West IA/western AZ
cessnapilot3 - 11/18/2012 16:45

Chiseled plowed a bunch of beans stubble today. Some would say, why? These are my reasons, are they that far off?
1) Helps the soil warm up in the spring working it. Plus I avoid fall burn down and spring burn down chemical costs. Corn jumps out of the ground without using any row starter.

2) Its easier to get good penentration and seed slot coverage on worked ground in the spring

3) I use sideress nh3, with mole knive and it seals better on worked ground.

4) After the ground is worked in the spring everything is smooth and nice and there is virtually no planter box jumping up an down

I truly believe that no-till is better for soil structure. But along the same line, wouldn't letting the ground fallow for 2 or3 years be good for the ground? Its a constant balance between profit and soil health. This ground has been no-tilled for approximately 10 years. Despite the drought my tilled ground did 2-3 times better than my notill this year (do you think thats just a one time thing?) I didnt understand why, so I hooked up the plow again. Is my reasoning that far off?

Not nearly enough information for us to tell you anything. From your 4 points you appear to be a natural born tiller. What was the actual treatment to those "notill" fields the last 10 years? Was it only planter openers and anhydrous knives disturbing the soil, or was there some VT or "notill ripping" going on too? I know some guys say they no till when they rip after corn but notill corn back into bean stubble.

I'm not saying you are doing any of these things, I'm just saying we don't know. If you have 2-3 times better crop, then you go that way. You don't need to ask permission from us. It's fun to burn diesel!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)