AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pet peeves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 11/18/2012 13:00 (#2703944 - in reply to #2703635)
Subject: Re: pet peeves

Driftless SW Wisconsin

+1 with Tim.   Soils everywhere are short of something which then means the grass and hay grown on that soil is likely short the same thing. We people eat enough food grown and raised over a wider number of farms that the minerals in our own diets usually tend to even out.  Cattle usually eat all their food from a limited geographic area and soil deficiencies are probably more likely to show up as cattle deficiencies.

Selenium, copper, many trace minerals and vitamins. My number 1 goal is easy, unassisted calving.  I believe many of those trace minerals are vital to calving ease.

If putting out a mineral barrel saves even 1 calf over a couple years it has more than paid for itself.  Hard to prove conclusively but I think from reading and what I see on the cows and calves and calving there appears to be a correlation between having a good mineral out, their appearance and calving ease.

I also see a variation in mineral consumption patterns over the year. I have not had good luck with loose mineral - just got hard as a rock and sat there until I cleaned out the feeder. Much better luck and zero waste with tubs.

I put white salt blocks out in rubber/plastic trays by the waterers. I see the same thing as with mineral - consumption varies widely at different times of the year. Seems like salt and mineral needs are two different things. Controlling mineral consumption by mixing with salt seems like we are mixing up two separate needs.

Jim

Edited by Jim 11/19/2012 01:16
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)