AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slugs in rye cover crop
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tomnwoh
Posted 11/18/2012 08:23 (#2703479 - in reply to #2702457)
Subject: RE: Slugs in rye cover crop

curtice,ohio
scott, fighting the same problem with a new alfalfa seeding. planted mid august , straw was baled off , chaff spreader was on . worked twice with a vertical tillage tool and had a perfect start. did not notill because of slug worries. checked field later and it was gone in spots. reseeded, thought it was slugs and had many other idea's of what it could be , soil test ok , no solid answers. this week had the seed salesman out for his version and we kept checking. i had some voluteer tillage radishes from the wheat crop in the field . we just were looking as how deep the were in the ground and pulled the leaves back and found slugs around the whole base of the radish. i wish i knew how to post pics , but the slugs have actually knawed grooves in the radish. i am sure that the stand will survive , maybe a little light in the heavy slug area's and with heavy , quick cuttings i hope they will struggle to survive over the life of the stand. neighbor was with me and said from now on his fields will be without residue for seeding, tough call ,but one has to be realistic
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)