AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insight & Autoswath possibility?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 11/17/2007 11:07 (#239847 - in reply to #239594)
Subject: RE: Insight & Autoswath possibility?

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Probably could be done. I have played around a bit trying to use a Raven console set in PWM to run a Deere SCV directly on an 8310.

This sort of worked - I was doing it mainly as an experiment and didn't have a real purpose in mind. I cut the wires leading to the SCV and put a two pole weatherpak pair in the cut wires. With the wires plugged back together the tractor operated with the normal switch in the Command Arm. With the connector to the SCV plugged into the Raven console, the Raven was able to control the SCV.

One downside to this was that the Deere system detected the fact that there was no electrical load on the original wires when the connector was switched to the Raven. This caused an error message on the tractor dash. I am told that putting the proper size resistor in a cap on the original wires when they are disconnected would "fool" the Deere system so that it would not show an error on the dash.

This setup may have worked to run a spinner pull type fertilizer spreader to achieve variable rates. The orbit motor running the belt would be run by the Raven to achieve the proper belt speed.

We have done this where a separate hyd control valve was mounted on the spreader. My plan was to utilize the SCV on the tractor and thus eliminate the need to purchase another valve. I really didn't pursue this plan very far.

As far as your question about automatically rasing or lowering an implement, it would seem that this should be possible with some external valving. Possibly using the power beyond port to an electric valve that was controlled by the Boom line from the Insights DC liquid module might work. One obstacle that I can think of right away is that the liquid module is expecting to work with some type of flowmeter as the intention normally is to apply a product. A fake flow simulator might be a workaround.

If a Seed Command module was available, flow shouldn't be an issue. It would be desirable to "tap" into the tractor wiring and use an existing valve. This might create other issues.

I believe I have heard of a wiring harness used with tile plows that ties into the tractor hudraulics to control the depth of the plow but still use the tractors valves. It would be interesting to see how this was done.

I have also heard of a wiring harness that was made to raise an implement whenever the tractor was put into reverse. This had some application in suguar beet harvesting that I don't understand. I believe this harness used the SCV on a Deere 8XX0 tractor.

At first I was unsure why Ron would even want to do this. I now got to thinking that if a person had this setup for tillage, that the point where the implement was dropped in or raised out would be nice and straight. This could be accomplished by making a new boundary for the field where the ends are the place where the tillage should start or stop. Then Autoswath could control the implement raise or drop point based on the boundary or areas that were already covered.

This would make finishing up the headlands more efficient since the width of the headland should not vary much. When I do tillage at an angle my passes are nice and straight with auto steer but my ends are ragged since I don't drop in or raise out consistently.

Edited by tedbear 11/22/2007 09:13
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)