AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

vertical tillage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ioway
Posted 11/17/2012 14:37 (#2702322 - in reply to #2701642)
Subject: RE: vertical tillage

Central Iowa
We use a true "vertical" tillage tool in the TurboTill. The reason we like it is it leaves residue on top and we can cover a lot of acres in short period of time. We use it to size stalks in the spring as soon as it's dry in front of beans. We also use it to prep soybean stubble in front of corn. We only want to open up down to the seed zone but like to leave residue on top since we farm rolling ground. We like to no-till but this tool allows us to get an earlier start by "airing out" the soil early until ground conditions get fit for no-till later in the season. I would NEVER use this tool or any other vertical tillage tool to make a seedbed for COC. It is simply too much residue to put into the seed zone. As far as the theory of vertical tillage I'm not sold either way. What I do know is you are less likely to do damage to the soil that will inhibit root growth with true vertical tillage than will a soil finisher or field cultivator if it's a little wet. They are over priced and manufacturers are cashing in but it's a tool that meets our needs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)