AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

I was thinking today about soil PH
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

southernokie
Posted 11/15/2012 23:01 (#2699711 - in reply to #2699324)
Subject: Re: I was thinking today about soil PH

High pH topsoil and acidic subsoil well after lime has had time to activate? How is infiltration and drainage in those areas? Shallow rock? High Mg or high Ca area?

Broiler litter here is consistent pH 8.0, which comes from the uric acid I think as cecal digesta is 6-7 pH before the uric acid fraction is 'unloaded'. It may be a bedding effect too...most is rice hulls. Cattle manure would be 6-7. A pH drop can occur as the manure is soil composted, but buffering capacity and leaching character of the soil would determine how long that effect lasts. Many here see the same pH rise with litter as JR mentions, but that does not mean the soils won't benefit from high Ca product. In my last litter analysis, Ca was 48 and Mg 11 lbs/ton which is equivalent to 200 lbs lime, say 25% Ca 5 % Mg......or 10 cumulative tons litter gives 1 ton lime.

Gypsum generally has netral pH effect and variable effect, but some work in Brazil showed increased subsoil pH after about 10 yrs.

Deep soil turnover may bring up more problems than you have now...eg burying aerobic layer under anaerobic layer or bring up toxic levels of Al, Fe, Mn or bring up poorly aggregated soil with poor tilth. I would want to know what is down there before putting it on top.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)