AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Smartphone as a ISO virtual terminal
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

BlondeFurious
Posted 11/28/2012 10:53 (#2721379 - in reply to #2699436)
Subject: RE: Good-Enough Positioning...not

Nebraska
I've talked about the precision stuff with a lot of guys. All the sales reps tout 4-6 inch and sub-inch accuracy as being really valuable. I don't think it is. We've tried RTK before. We've tried the OmniStar stuff too. When we've compared our return on investment for the higher cost of RTK and OmniStar equipment to the John Deere 10 inch accuracy stuff we couldn't see any additional value. So, we've continued to use the John Deere stuff.

At first we couldn't understand why, but after talking through it with the other guys I farm with, and a little common sense we figured a few thing out. We put on nitrogen and other fertilizer then it rains and spreads it out in the soil. It doesn't stay in a nice straight little line. Plant roots don't grow straight down either. Also if there's a little more room between some rows, the plants with more room between them get a little bigger and yield a little better. They get more nutrients and light. When we talked through overlap concerns, we noticed our Deere solution shuts off our rows or sections before they overlap between a foot and two foot. So we're not wasting product. We ended up just being sensible about all this. We're not machining rocket parts, we're planting seeds in dirt.

I just did a conversion, 25 cm is 10.2 inches, which is the same pass-to-pass accuracy we get with our Deere solution. So, sounds like Crop Ventures will be more than good enough for a farmer with some common sense. Especially if it's as affordable as they make it sound.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)