AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The drones are coming
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

denny-o
Posted 11/15/2012 13:21 (#2698743 - in reply to #2698519)
Subject: Re: The drones are coming

Michigan - Saginaw County
Well, as a guy who flies an airplane on instruments and having experience with autopilots, the auto pilot does a lot better job than I can when it comes to accuracy, paying attention, etc.
I think automatic equipment is coming to the BTO and Giant Corporation farming (think: a vertically integrated ADM like company - which is coming at us like a freight train) as surely as automatic steering has come to even the little guys.
Certainly, safety stops can be built into the autonomous controllers just as they are in my autopilot - anything that can fail will, but look at the guys who fall asleep and let the tractor go into a ditch, etc. how do you blame the electronics there?
When my autopilot decides something is wrong - like on final approach and the glideslope signal suddenly goes away - an obnoxious alarm goes off in my headset. Same deal on your hand controller...

I like the laser system - if it loses one of the reflectors or the radio beam it simply stops and sends out an alarm - good excuse for a flashing strobe, eh. Maybe even three or four - boy, this board will be steaming hot then.
I like the dual engine concept for efficiency I would put load sensors that start and stop one engine depending on the load - much better than the Northstar Cadillac concept. Only needs one engine going to the field with the empty cart, but maybe two engines going back up the muddy slope with a thousand bushels on board, then back to one on level ground, etc.
I suspect there will be an efficiency loss in the diesel-electric powertrain at this small of a size. It is more efficient for container ships and big locomotives and those mining trucks the size of a small township, but tends to lose out to traditional engine/transmission when downsized. Even big over the road trucks are now automatic transmissions. I'm wondering if they would be better off with autos or a CVT tranny.
I do like their welded steel frames compared large castings for both cost ans weight savings - as long as they are done right. But I'm wondering if they have a clue how much we farmers abuse equipment.

This is a new technology use - meaning the components are not new but the assembly and use is - so there will be teething problems.
When it can pull a pair of 1300 bushel carts down the road to the elevator, dump, and return, while you stay in the field, then is when it will sell :)
At that point you can expect maybe two guys with controllers to run 4 or 5 combines in a field with autonomous grain carts going between the combines and the semis. You might even foresee combines with no cabs other than a small manual station for odd situations, like bringing it out of the field when there has been a electronic failure.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)