AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Yet another Freightliner Vibration Update...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

ihmanky
Posted 11/14/2012 23:58 (#2698001)
Subject: Yet another Freightliner Vibration Update...

KY
You guys are getting sick of hearing about my poor old freightliner.. old to some, newer to me (99 model). Anyhow, pulled chunk last night. Looked ok to me, couple score marks and that was about it. Took it today over to Owensboro to somewhat of a transmission / rear diff. legend, and his words were: I'd love to take your money, but I wouldn't feel right doing it. There is nothing here that would cause your problem. If I were you, I would put it back together and throw it back in there, your truck will wear out long before you'll hurt that 23,000 rear with an M-11", I trust his opinion, and saved my money and put the chunk back in. A neighbor suggested I rotate the outer drives to match the valve stems up instead of 180 out, and if there was a common low spot (flatspotting, etc.) the other tire on that side would carry it and should reduce the vibration and I would know that's where it was. Did that before I pulled it out of the shop, no change. Possibly just a slight hair worse. SO... at the risk of chasing another mouse thru a canyon, tomorrow the 4 recap drives go bye-bye for a new set of balanced virgins. After that, well, guess I'll just have to live it with it drive it off a cliff... one or the other. Oh yeah, ride height valve and shaft angle is good. More tomorrow, one way or another. Been a long frustrating day wrestling that diff. and hauling it to get looked at and putting back and setting backlash and all and then wrestling it back in. If you have never done it, word to the wise... you need a forklift (or other fine-controlled hydraulic lift) and weld a 3-link piece of chain to the top of the diff. housing as far towards the rear as you can. Then you can lift it with a chain and it will nearly be balanced if you get it far towards the back. Makes it much easier to slide in there. You can get messed up trying to use a floor jack, know a guy that lost a couple fingers trying that stunt.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)