AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

sustainability
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

puff33m
Posted 11/15/2012 12:09 (#2698653 - in reply to #2697967)
Subject: RE: sustainability

N FLA
Shadow, tough topic. Sustainability and economics go hand in hand. That is what makes it tough to define sustainability, , but it is always based on current economics. Currently, the Feds subsidize insurance for continuous corn, what if they didnt? Currently, Nitrogen is 0.60 per unit and we can have all we want, what if we had to pay double or couldnt get it? Currently DAP is easy to get, there is alot of data showing there will be international shortage of P to feed the population, what then? Right now we don't worry about the Nitrogen in the gulf of mexico, what if there was a cost to that? We are fighting a couple wars, some say for cheap oil, what if fuel were double? There is a mandate to use renewable energy, for now that is corn, what if that demand were not there and corn were half price? What if all the illegal immigrant labor in Dodge City, KS or Live Oak, FL were not available to process all this beef or poultry we produce nearby in a mega feedlot/etc? Right now we have a "zero interest" policy, what if interest were 12%, would that change practices?

I think this Sustainability bunch, looks at a lot of alternative scenarios, and tends to form an idyllic image of "what if" things were different, and paints sustainability in more of a Libertarian fashion. Specifically what is sustainable without govt intervention/$, and without destroying others right/resources (Gulf fisherman for example, or beachgoers in Tampa, etc). In some ways I feel like they are the true conservatives. I think they also don't believe farming can get to the point of "too big to fail" producers, so what is sustainable to them is a smaller farm.

You are probably right, that they are uneducated about production, etc. But they are also people that are not profiting from farming usually, and they may think things like drinkable water for the city of Des Moines, or families being allowed to swim in the Gulf on vacation are important. They think not subsidizing with increased taxes or money printing are important components. Our lobbyists and elected officials think it is important and so we farm in what makes the most money under their laws. Thats some thoughts i have about sustainability.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)