AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Bovine TB (Michigan vs Wisconsin)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

tjdub
Posted 11/14/2012 23:23 (#2697939)
Subject: Bovine TB (Michigan vs Wisconsin)

I watched some online video of feeder sale today at Waukon, IA and was surprised to to see a lot of Michigan cattle selling there.

Last year there was a HUGE amount of MI cattle going through there because Wisconsin refused to recognize a "Split State Status" for Bovine TB outbreaks. It seemed like every "yooper" feeder calf was trucked all the way through Wisconsin and sold at Waukon, IA. I thought it would would have been resolved by now, so I googled it, and sure enough, Wisconsin has amended their rules to allow Michigan cattle to be sold there under split-state status now. So why are so many MI calves still coming to IA???? Is it just for the better price (proximity to feedlots) or does WI still have too many bureaucratic hurdles to sell MI cattle there?

Bovine TB was a thorn in my side when MN was quarantined, At least Iowa was quick to correct this and recognized Minnesota's split-state status pretty soon after they established it. I don't think Wisconsin ever did recognize it for Minnesota.

Edited by tjdub 11/14/2012 23:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)