AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Food crisis article
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

John Burns
Posted 11/13/2012 21:09 (#2695729)
Subject: Food crisis article

Pittsburg, Kansas

Here is the article.

This quote I find puzzling and odd. Don't know quite what to make of it.

There are two bits of good news. The first is that rice is enjoying a bumper harvest. The second is that prices aren't spiraling out of control as they did four years ago, in part because a number of reforms in the market quietly developed by the FAO and the Group of 20. With more transparency and information on crops and pricing at global level and more coordination by leading food importers and exporters, FAO Director General Jose Graziano da Silva says these reforms helped to "stop the worst drought in decades [from] turning into a food price crisis as has happened in the past."

"Despite tight markets, a set of conditions and measures have so far stopped international food prices from spiraling up as they did in 2007-2008 and 2009-2010," he added. "Droughts or floods are not what cause crises, it is lack of governance. In a globalized world, we cannot have food security in only one country or in one region. We need to strengthen the global governance of food security."

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Analysis/Walker/2012/11/12/Walkers-World-Food-crisis-again/UPI-96861352697180/#ixzz2C9tdCdK9

The bold parts (my emphasis) are what I find peculiar. Is he saying they are manipulating the markets? Kind of sounds that way. If they are, that usually causes distortions in the market place sending the wrong signals and eventually turning a bad situation into something worse. Witness our current financial situation.

John
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)