AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Hydroponics
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Agteacher
Posted 11/14/2012 10:21 (#2696600 - in reply to #2696499)
Subject: RE: Hydroponics

twraska - 11/14/2012 09:24

I've seen too many instances where schools buy just because they have the money or some grant. Get all sorts of fancy equipment such as plasma cams but forget to teach the kids how to weld or cut with a torch. Just my opinion.

One thing that an agriculture teacher has to do is adapt to the area that you live in. If i was a teacher in west Tennessee or in the Corn Belt then my classes would have to revolve around field crop production. If I was a teacher in east Tennessee/Mountains, I would be focusing on beef, goat, and sheep production or the major agriculture industry in the area. The area that I teach is in a tobacco community. Alot of the tobacco farmers uses the greenhouses/hydroponics to start the tobacco plants.

Another reason alot of agriculture teachers buy all the fancy equipment is because that is what the gov't suggests that we buy. The gov't sets the standards/guidelines that we have to teach to and then they say "here is a list of approved equipment". I agree that most teachers teach towards the fancy equipment instead of the basics. But that is happening throughout agriculture. Do they train people on how to operate equipment anymore or just to work the "fancy" auto steer gps, point row clutches, or auto boom control?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)