AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD4640 hyrdaulic filters/pump questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

warrior-p
Posted 11/16/2012 11:27 (#2700423 - in reply to #2694902)
Subject: Re: JD4640 hyrdaulic filters/pump questions

Wardview, LA
Well got some questions after changing the hydraulic filters last night. By the way, you will loose only about 1-2 gallons of oil when changing the fitlers it you park on a slight slope to the right. I found the oil had a dark tint to it - a light brown color and you could not see the bottom of the bucket with 1-2 gallons of oil in it. I found the front filter had trapped more particulate than the rear where i assume the oil cycles to it first. I found a light coating on the bottom of the 5 gallon bucket of small silver/bronze color metal shavings along with the black shavings. Tractor runs fine and shifts good. I have not seen the steering wheel shake since that one time but will run it this weekend to see. So here are some more questions:
1) Are the metal shavings normal? It was more than I prefer but did not think it was a substanital amount
2) I assume the black particles are the brake linings, where are they located at and how hard are they to change?
3) I am going to change the oil this weekend before running it. Has anyone tried the Tractor supply Premium Renew or Service Pro equivalent oil?
4) I also will clean the screen located behind the 1/2" drive plug located just behind the filters next to the axle housing bolts.
5) Where is the screen on the hydraulic pump?
6) Since I have no idea when the fitlers were changed or how old the oil is (I assume they have not been touched in 4-5 years), I plan on running the tractor for several weeks doing small work around the farm and checking the fitlers again to see what shavings occur.
7) How hard is it to replace the pto shaft seal? Do you do it with the shaft in place or pull it?
8) When running the JD750 drill, is there a specific remote I should use or can you use any of them?
9) Any other suggestions/opinions would be appreciated. (I know I am ordering a service manual today but it want help me this weekend)

Edited by warrior-p 11/16/2012 11:28
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)