AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

NDcattleman
Posted 11/14/2012 03:05 (#2696188 - in reply to #2694550)
Subject: Re: Garvo, and other feeders what are your thoughts on this article....

North Central ND
Before I start in I want to say a few things and introduce myself as I am new around here. I am 20 yrs old and trying to get the cattle side of our family operation started again. I absolutely love the cattle industry and I am involved in just about every part of it. I have a small herd started at home and also work at a couple local sale barns doing everything from sorting to selling as I also am a licensed auctioneer in ND. I take a big interest in the slaughter and meat industries and have done many hours of studying and toured many plants.

NOW I say this to the short numbers..

Many of the folks in the younger generation (which includes me) that are starting to take over operations in the farming world have never had it "tough." We have always seen good prices and pretty good profits. We havent seen 10 bshl/acre wheat or winters that take half a calf crop. This leads to more people coming back to the farm because of the income potential and dont have a full love or interest in the industry. This generation also does not appreciate a good day of hard work like the generations that farmed before us. We also strive to have a "fun" side to our life. With the extra disposable income many have lake cabins or campers or toys that are a reason to take the weekend off or head out somewhere on vacation for the winter which cows typically hinder.If the money is in the corn we are gonna raise corn. If you could show the same profit per hour of work in cattle as you do corn we wouldnt have enough room in the feedlots.

Many of us simply dont want to work as hard as you have to to keep a cow herd going.

As I said not every young person taking over a farm/ranch is that way and I also understand cattle raisin isnt for everyone. I just look at it as a big part of why so many operations are sellin out.

Just my two cents.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)