AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

finding info on a veteran
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Gromit
Posted 11/12/2012 21:59 (#2694015 - in reply to #2692178)
Subject: RE: finding info on a veteran

Lac qui Parle County Minnesota
A few years back, we were at the American Cemetery in Normandy. We were looking my wife's great uncle. They had a person there who could tell you where any service man buried in Europe was buried. We found out that my wife's great uncle was listed as killed in Sicily. His name is on a wall there because as the story goes, he died as a result of cannon fire direct hit. I can't remember the name of the group with the information but I'm sure a search of the American Cemetery in Normandy would have a link.
While we were in Normandy, in one of the museums it showed pictures of the work of the Graves Registration company that were in charge of the dead. They were often right behind the front lines, marking out spots for graves and registering the dead. After the war, families were given the opportunity to bring loved ones home for burial. Many took advantage of this and so the hundreds of small American cemeteries were reduced to around 7 or so. After the war, they also spent a lot time digging up German soldiers to identify hastily buried dead. If there were no dog tags, they would go through the clothing to find anything that would identify the corpse. Doesn't sound like fun work.
Keep searching, you should find him.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)