AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody on here purchase all or a majority of their feed needs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

play in the dirt
Posted 11/12/2012 21:24 (#2693938 - in reply to #2692313)
Subject: Re: Anybody on here purchase all or a majority of their feed needs?

south central IOWA
Jim - 11/12/2012 00:28
It seems to me that some folks that make their own hay don't have a good picture of the total costs involved to make good hay.

The first year I bought my herd I had to buy all my hay needs. It only took that one year for me to realize that that was not the thing to do and that I needed to figure out a different plan. And that was when hay was cheap!!!

So when I read this statement I assumed I was classified as "some folks" and needed to take a look at the picture...... to make sure I was still doing the right thing and all.

Sooo, between Dad and I we have roughly 100 acres of hay ground that is at the farms where the cattle are at and would be easy to turn into pasture ground. Those 100 acres on a average year produce 5 bales/acre. That's 500 bales.

Around here it takes about 3 acres of grass for a pair to run on a year. So that means we could add 30 head of cows.

I just heard today about some "good hay" being auctioned off that brought $160 for 2nd and 3rd cutting and $130 for 1st cutting. So for easy figuring I"ll use $100/bale. That's $50,000 we would have to spend on hay per year.

That hay ground we gave up to run 30 more cows........ calves are worth about $850/head at the moment. 30x850= $25500

The difference of $24,500 is enough in the first year to pay for nice haying equipment. And in order to break even we would have to buy all of our hay for $50/bale. Ha, that will buy you stalk bales this year.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that some people think that a guy is actually better off buying all their hay. Big or small operation.... I just don't get it.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)