AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody on here purchase all or a majority of their feed needs?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

proud2Bafarmer
Posted 11/11/2012 21:32 (#2691904 - in reply to #2691854)
Subject: Re: Anybody on here purchase all or a majority of their feed needs?

Baldwin City, KS
Alot of the reason we put up hay, is the fact that many of our row crop leases have hay ground on them as well. Might as well put it up since we have the equip. We don't really have to many significant chunks of hay ground that stand alone, otherwise I would consider buying most of my hay. Crop residue and silage make up a chunk of our feed as well. If we rent or buy more pasture and add cows, I will likely buy the additional hay, before I chase down more hay ground. It is getting harder to find, and I'm not the type to run over somebody to get something I don't already have. Also, I intend to run my paid for baler several more years and getting much over 1500 bales per year won't allow for that. That being said, I would take on any piece of hay ground that came available in a heart beat, but not if it meant purchasing a line of equipment that isn't already in the shed. I'd say don't be afraid to buy some old hay equip and feel things out, but buy what you need as well, till you work up to some decent ground and equipment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)