AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Armistice Day storm was what year?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Bruce NW Ia
Posted 11/10/2012 19:58 (#2689650)
Subject: Armistice Day storm was what year?

Cherokee County, Northwest Iowa
I grew up here in Northwest Iowa hearing about an "Armistice Day Storm" that hit decades ago. As I remember the story, the day was a lovely late fall day, but turned into quite a storm (blizzard) very fast, catching lots of people unprepared.

1. Anyone remember what year that occurred?

2. Any stories to share about that storm?

3. I often wonder-back in those days they certainly weren't as lucky as we are today, to have weather forecasts (yea, I know, we all make fun of the weather man from time to time, but you have to admit, they do provide quite a service. example-they were predicting, quite accurately, as it turns out, the path of Hurricane Sandy) as accurate or so easily available as we have them today.

I asked my father-in-law today, he wasn't sure, guessing early 1940's.

This is just one of many examples these days of things my father talked about, but I didn't pay as much attention to at the time, as I now wish that I had.

Used to always hear about it towards the tail end of corn harvest: "Let's get this wrapped up, I remember the Armistice Day Blizzard".

thanks.. Bruce. Just did the math in my head, if storm hit in 1940, and you were 10 years old at the time and can remember it, you are now around 82.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)