AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

creep feeding lt weight calves
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

coochief
Posted 11/10/2012 22:17 (#2689931 - in reply to #2688449)
Subject: RE: creep feeding lt weight calves

SE MT

Well Hilltamer,  I without a doubt believe that creep feeding works for my outfit.  Used it for many years, moreso on dry ones like this year.  Usually try to get some of the calves going on it,  at about the 250-300 lb mark depending on the year.     We contracted in late may and locked in most of our needs for the summer untill weaning time, at 190$ ton,   these are wheat mid pellets gauranteed 15% Protien and have Bovatec in them, you can also get rumensin.          
        Anyways, at all the feed meetings I've gone to the feed salesman preech that there Creep has a 4 to 1  others a 5 to 1 ratio of lbs of Creep to a lb. of Gain.           I like to use 6:1,       So like PITD says,     using 240$/Ton would be .12 times 6 =  .72cents per lb of gain,  beef is worth twice that.         Also, many benefits such as takes some of the load off the cow, save a litte grass etc,  calves coming off of creep wean well and go to feed quick.       
         But, everyones situation is different, if you have tons of pasture and Cows that are milking great, Creep may not make as big a difference.    Personally, if I have plenty of Hard Grass and on a normal year calves will do fine without creep.    On years when Grain is high and cattle are cheap it doesn't work so well,    the CO-OP was charging 375/ ton so there is huge difference in creep prices.    I would definately start 300 pounders out with the medicated stuff,   also every time you auger the pellets they get more powdery, so try not to handle it alot.   My .02cents    

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)