AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anybody offer a bounty to trap beaver on your farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

IowaMark
Posted 11/8/2012 23:45 (#2686990)
Subject: Anybody offer a bounty to trap beaver on your farm?

NW Iowa. / SW Arizona
I have two farms that have creeks & beaver on them. Every year they do damage to the crops plus dig holes out into the fields which can be hard on equipment if you are lucky enough to hit the hole right. There is a young man from a local town that works for the elevator that wanted to trap them this fall. This young man had never trapped a day in his life but wanted to try it so I was delighted to have him try his luck at it. He has three young girls that love the outdoors & he takes the oldest deer hunting every fall which she loves doing. She was exctied to try this new experiance of trapping also. So last Saturday, opening trapping day, they set their traps on one farm & the first night they caught 5 raccoons & three beavers. Needless to say they were excited. They caught two more beavers after that & not sure what else they caught.

They took their beavers to a fur buyer yesterday & they got $15.00 for a 40# beaver & $2.00 @ for the other four. He was pretty depressed over only getting $2.00 apiece for the four. The problem is it has been so warm their furs havn't gotten to their prime yet. The buyer said he would be better to wait until later in the winter to trapp them when their fur is in full prime. I guess you can trapp thme until March in Iowa.

To cheer him up I told him I would pay him $10.00 @ for the ones he already caught & $20.00 @ for any he catches from now on as long as they are from one of my farms. I just want to get rid of them, I'm afraid if he quits now he won't go back out.

Do you think I'm to cheap or to generous ? I know I wouldn't have to offer him anything but I feel like I'm getting my monies worth plus he & his daughter can have something to remember back on when they both get older. I know I have found memories of trapping when I was in H.S.

Edited by IOWAMARK 11/8/2012 23:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)