AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Equipment trade
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

greenswede
Posted 6/17/2006 20:09 (#20139 - in reply to #19884)
Subject: back in the 40's.....

Urbandale Ia, (but originally from SE IA)
I've heard my dad & uncle tell a story about my grandfather making a deal like that with his corn picker. He had a 2-row mounted picker that he put on our 1935 model A JD (which I still have). I guess the early models left a lot to be desired and they had come out with a better one, so he traded. Trouble is, WW 2 broke out and they started machinery rationing and he never got his new picker. Had to go back to picking by hand until they finally got a Woods 1-row several years later.
We were just talking about that a few weeks ago when my uncle was back for a visit. I had always wondered if grandpa had sold the other one outright and then didn't get the new one, or if he had actually traded it in, and then the dealer stiffed him. They neither one could recall that part, but said they thought the dealership actually got in a new picker that was supposed to be grandpa's, but somebody else got it (dealer's buddy maybe, or money under the table??).
Anyway, I always thought it would have been tough to have to pick corn by hand, but it would really suck once you had a 2row picker and then had to go back to doing it by hand.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)