AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

iPad Based Record Keeping Software
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

FSAguy
Posted 11/6/2012 08:02 (#2681039 - in reply to #2680952)
Subject: Re: iPad Based Record Keeping Software

North Mississippi
I personally see this software using the iPad being more of a manager's tool (replacing the clipboard/calendar/notepad on the dash of the truck) than an in the tractor cab data collection/controller tool. That said, you surely could use this in a cab, but it isn't designed to record data from the controllers per se. One day, maybe it will. I don't have an answer to that, sorry. I do have a hard time believing that the "big equipment" guys will get on board with using a common box, when they each can sell the one they designed, and maintain a proprietary line of hardware. Not saying its right, just hard for me to foresee.....

However, in my mind there are alot of things that go on in your fields that can't be captured by a controller in a piece of equipment. Scouting data, weed pressure, insect pressure, growth stage, irrigation needs, weather data, etc. This app/iPad fits that need in my mind. You can record ANYHING you need. If a cropduster sprays your field, record it. If a custom fertilizer applicator spreads on your field, record it. The list can go on and on. This software has features like: you can take/store pictures of a crop or weed, you can make audio recordings, you can set up bar codes, and use it like a bar code scanner (equipment, chemicals, rain guage, insect traps, etc). The possibilities for the data to record are only limited by your imagination and your willingness to actually follow through and record the data.

There are pros/cons to any scenario a person wants to consider. I believe there is a need for a software like this. I have been in Precision Ag and Ag in general my whole life. I have looked at alot of controllers, computers, softwares, and never found one that fit the bill for farmers. They were too cumbersome, too complicated, too restricting, etc. This software however is the first one I have found that can be simple and easy for someone to use. If it doesn't make things easier for you, then it won't work. It won't fit your needs. However, I think this will fit with alot of people, and fill alot of needs.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)