AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Jeep Liberty diesel turbo died,,, lesson learned
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 10/30/2012 22:23 (#2669740 - in reply to #2668882)
Subject: RE: Mods or egr delete on Jeeps?

Southeast Wyoming

Jay NE Ohio - 10/30/2012 11:31

The Liberty CRD engine has a "flow control valve" as part of the EPA emissions package. When you turn the key off, the flow control valve closes for about 5 seconds and shuts off the air flow to the intake. In this case, there must have been enough oil in the intake to keep it running past the 5 seconds. 

The emisions crap: this little diesel has EGR. When the computer determines the engine is up to operating temps and the MAF sensor determines there is sufficient flow, then the flow control valve closes and the EGR valve opens. This allows soot to enter the intake. It also has a PCV valve that feeds back into the intake side of the turbo. This combination of soot and oil vapor gets to meet in the intake manifold where it plugs up the manifold pressure sensor as well as the manifold. 

However, I have "heard" of guys unplugging the MAF sensor. This causes a check engine light and disables the EGR valve and flow control valve from opening while the engine is running. I have also "heard" of guys venting the crankcase to somewhere other than the air intake. These two mods keep the soot and oil vapor out of the engine. Some guys have went to the effort to build a little electronic device that tricks the computer into thinking that the EGR valve is working, when in fact it is disconnected. This device keeps the check engine light from coming on, which helps you pass emisions tests if you are in an area that requires them. The check engine light on mine is on, but it does not bother me.

If turning the key off causes a baffle of some sort to shut down air flow that should have ended the excitement immediately.  The old Detroit diesel used to have an emergency flap as run-aways were common.  When working at the CAT house in the early 70's we always had a think manual or something available to slap over the air intake anytime an engine was started after an overhaul.

Well, not everyone did.  They had a factory trained wis bang know it all who did an overhaul and started it.  When it ran away he grabbed a fire extinquisher and blasted that into the intake.  The shop got to pay for the next overhaul.  He is the same guy who took the hydraulic lines loose on a loader with the bucket about 8 foot in the air.  He got everyones attention with that deal.

I had a turbo compressor wheel explode just east of Burlington, CO about 2.5 years ago on my detroit.  I got it off the road and torn down.  I had to have my brother bring me a turbo and air cleaner from Cheyenne the next morning.  The air cleaner was full of bits and pieces of the compressor wheel.  The rebuilt turbo had a new housing that had never been machined.  We used a file and filed it out to fit.  It has been running great since.

Thanks for the information on the Liberty.  I didn't know they ever came out with a diesel.  Sound like a nice unit.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)