AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

homemade jug rinse (from below)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ray (ecks)
Posted 6/16/2006 23:08 (#19969 - in reply to #19847)
Subject: Re: homemade jug rinse (from below)

Electric would be a good idea, but I would hate to guess what a 3" electric valve might cost. We've thought about putting a rod in the handles and running them out to where we can reach them if we can't get close enough. If anyone has any info on a 3" electric valve I'd love to hear about it.

The booster pump is not necessary, but comes in handy. For the times you are loading several high volume materials we can close off the valve going to the venturi and push the chemical with the pump back up into the cone tank and then when you do start the water pump it will drop out of the cone several times faster than you can pull it even with the pump helping the venturi. We can also unhook it and pump directly into a measuring can if we want to calibrate the meter. We've done it a couple of times and have a cheat sheet that we use to take into account the viscosity of a chemical.

We like the idea of using the venturi for suction because that way we are not totally dependent on a 12v pump as we were in the old days of having a pump on each shuttle. The pump I believe is a scienco or some derivitive of it. There is one just like it in Schaben's catalog, but ours is out in the shop right now. They have 2 different 12 volt pumps for herbicide, one is the old Tuthill brand, what do they call it....Sotera? The other is the one like we have now. We went with the Sotera on our new trailer based on the advice of a man we trust where we were doing business.

Plumbing for more than one or two chemicals is no harder than adding another Tee and a valve, the limiting factor will probably be how much floor space you have and if you really want to mess with a product in bulk. If it's something we don't use a lot of sometimes it's easier to use packaged product, it's also easier to return if you have some left over.

As for your AMS idea, it sounds like it would be great if it would work and I've never tried something like that, but considering the fact that it can get hard inside of a sealed plastic bag the chances of it turning into something that will increase your vocabulary I'd say is pretty high.

I got some info from a supplier about some liquid products that are available to use instead of AMS or in our case we use Array because we really like the way it mixes and the drift retardant in it does a super job. If we had not been so pushed for time this spring we might have gotten some and tried it, but planting season got here sooner than we were ready. Ideally I'd love to find a liquid product that we can use, maybe even one that we can add to the bulk tanks so there is one less product to put in when you are refilling.

You might look at mixing a bunch of AMS in your transport tanks, I have never tried it, don't know if it will settle or stay in solution, maybe someone else has some ideas?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)