AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Tips for Spray Painting Rims??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

clinton005
Posted 10/24/2012 13:15 (#2658622)
Subject: Tips for Spray Painting Rims??

Montana
Do any of you have some good tips for spray painting rims with the tires still on? I would like to just paint the rims and have new tires put on, but these are combine tires with too good of tread! Should I just paint as normal, then wipe the edges with paint thinner? I have some flaming orange Gleaner tires/rims that need to become silver ASAP. Thanks!

Clinton
Top of the page Bottom of the page
pbutler
Posted 10/24/2012 13:19 (#2658632 - in reply to #2658622)
Subject: RE: Tips for Spray Painting Rims??

Macon, IL
I just tape them off with 6 inch strips of blue painters tape, then throw anohter layer around that. Doesn't take long. Can tuck little strips under rim.
KLo
Posted 10/24/2012 13:29 (#2658650 - in reply to #2658622)
Subject: Re: Tips for Spray Painting Rims??

Northeast, NE
Newspaper and painters tape. I would use more than one layer of news paper just in case you get a little crazy...or sneeze while spraying! KLo
johns_79
Posted 10/24/2012 13:35 (#2658658 - in reply to #2658622)

Windom, MN
I just did some semi trailer rims this year. took them off, then used some tape around the tire. worked pretty well, but still had some overspray on the tire, so I used some gasoline and a rag to wipe the light specs off. Looks brand new.
gndfarms
Posted 10/24/2012 14:10 (#2658705 - in reply to #2658658)

mid minnesota
I heard once to smear grease on the tire then wipe it off
davpal
Posted 10/24/2012 14:16 (#2658712 - in reply to #2658622)

Mid Michigan
Go to the hardware and buy some painted steel flashing for roofs and make a circle out of it and go around the rim. It will fit like a glove and keep all the paint off the tire. I've done it many times and you can make it fit in the bead perfectly tight. Easy low cost way to paint and you can use it on both sides.
Larry in AB
Posted 10/24/2012 14:27 (#2658731 - in reply to #2658622)

Alberta, Canada
I've done it the tape and paper way and also I have some stuff you spray on that dries. They you paint and it washes off with warm water but you still have to prevent it from getting on the area you want to paint!
6030Deere
Posted 10/24/2012 14:39 (#2658747 - in reply to #2658622)

N MO
Grease or soap work great. You still get a little overspray but it isn't too bad.
detroitdiesel
Posted 10/24/2012 14:47 (#2658758 - in reply to #2658622)
Subject: Best we have found!

Chillicothe, Missouri
The first thing I could/would reccommend is cleaning the wheel to remove dirt and grease.
Then I would make sure to wash with soap and water with a brush.
Next would be to spray laquer thinner upon the wheel and scrub it with a stiff brissel brush. (this will remove the oil residue upon the surface to allow for better paint adhesion)
For the first coat of paint, use a color of Rust-oleum paint that is a close to the desired finish coat.  Rust-oleum spray paint has an inncorporated self-etching primer sealer which provides for  better adhesion.
Example: Massey 1100 series color is 'Flint Metalic Siliver'  We start with 'Rust-oleum - Metalic Finish;'  allow the paint to dry to a tacky touch before applying a second coat.  We normally apply two coats of Rustolium, the when the final is tacky, finish with the correct color for the equipment.
Through this process, the base paint will be self-etching, attaching to the metal better.  Apply the final proper color.

To control/prevent overspray onto the tire, use a piece of hard, solid cardboard,   Such as the back of a legal tablet.  Hold the two ends flush with the rim, use a small ball-pean hammer to tap the rim edge, marking the paper.  Then cut along the line for a follower.  Then paint the rim, when within 4-6 inches of the rim, hold the cardboard up to the rim against the tire.
Have done more than one tractor this way, one has even been fratured in Hertiage Iron!

Edit: As mentioned in a later post, where they used soda boxes, They would be easier to move and not easily held tight against the rim.
Also, we have 3-4 different ones saved in the file cabinet for different diameter rims.

If a small area of spray does land upon the tire, a Clean Rag wet with Lacquer Thinner will help remove the overspray that is still wet.

Edited by detroitdiesel 10/24/2012 15:46

(overspray-catch-web-3.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments overspray-catch-web-3.jpg (19KB - 209 downloads)
tim4870
Posted 10/24/2012 15:00 (#2658772 - in reply to #2658758)
Subject: RE: Best we have found!

Southern MN
+1 on using the cardboard cut out to match the rim. I use empty cerial boxes, easy to come by and easy to get rid of. I don't tape anything, I just hold the cardboard against the rim with one hand and paint with the other. Only drawback is that the cardboard can become pretty wet with paint which you can then smear on the tire as you move it around.
clinton005
Posted 10/24/2012 15:14 (#2658781 - in reply to #2658772)

Montana
Ok, I will get ahold of some blue tape this weekend. Should be a huge improvement!
Red Blood
Posted 10/24/2012 16:10 (#2658820 - in reply to #2658622)

Eastern Nebraska
Just get some 2 inch masking tape and tape half the rim and half the tire. After you are all the way around take a razor blade and follow the edge of the bead close to rim. Peel the tape back off the rim and finish taping the rest of the tire. This is what I do and it's the best way that I have found.
mennoboy
Posted 10/24/2012 16:57 (#2658862 - in reply to #2658622)

Rivers, MB
I've used legal sized manilla folders cut along the fold. then tape these into a long row of them (I think 4 1/2's works for an implement tire). then shape into a cylinder that fits just over the outside of the rim so that it makes a wall between the rim and the tire. This is after we've ground the old rim with a wire brush. After the manilla folder wall is in place, paint with a spray bomb.
commissioner
Posted 10/24/2012 17:33 (#2658909 - in reply to #2658622)

southern Illinois
Just get some 2 or 3 inch masking tape and tape over the edge of the rim and make a couple laps. Then take a razor knife and trim out the rim. A couple hours after you get done painting take the tape off and us acetone to remove any overspray. Acetone is the best thing on a rag to wipe of overspray, it just wipes right off.
G. DAY
Posted 10/24/2012 18:51 (#2659001 - in reply to #2658622)
Subject: Use a band of sheet metal.

Fresno, California
Get a band of light gauge sheet metal sheared about three inches wide and long enough to go around the wheel, use a small C clamp to hold ends together, use to be able to buy one with magnets that fit a truck wheel years ago, it will be cheaper and faster than using masking tape.
jeff gordon
Posted 10/24/2012 21:43 (#2659321 - in reply to #2658622)

Mather, Manitoba
We send ours to get sandblasted and powder coated.
ihscout
Posted 10/25/2012 07:57 (#2659838 - in reply to #2659321)

I will put Crisco on the tire then paint the rim then wait a coupl days to wash it off once youre done u have a new looking rim and a new looking tire the Crisco really shines up the tire just dont do this on a hot day or in the direct sunlight Crisco will turn into oil and run on the paint
nsfarm
Posted 10/25/2012 08:29 (#2659878 - in reply to #2659321)

Manitoba, Canada
where do you send them to?
jeff gordon
Posted 10/25/2012 10:03 (#2660019 - in reply to #2659878)

Mather, Manitoba
EnviroTec in Winkler.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)