AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

50+ Years of Working on Cornstalks
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 10/19/2012 22:47 (#2650561 - in reply to #2650189)
Subject: Re: 50+ Years of Working on Cornstalks

Martinsville, Ohio
I always liked your pictures but if I ever loved plowing, Robert, I don't remember now.

Dad and grandpa plowed 100 acres for corn each year with a team. I never did figure out how they did all of that. Grandpa had a little Titan when dad was little but it just pulled a disk and harrow. That was replaced with a Farmall Regular but they still plowed with a team!

By the time I came along, Grandpa was getting too old to help and dad was plowing with an Oliver 77. He traded that for a Super 77 with 3 point hitch and a raydex plow. He bought a used 8N and he will pull 3 bottoms and I would plow with 2 at the same time. We thought that was big farming in our little livestock area in the 1950's.

He couldn't keep the Ford running and bought a used Oliver 550 for me to plow with and we were pulling 6-14's total. We always plowed in the spring. No one fall plowed much in those days because our soil was too light and often too hilly. The fields were all fenced and got hogged and grazed off. Some years I think they ate and licked up every kernal.

I never liked plowing because you sat so unlevel. The neighbor's WC and WD seemed to be built around the plow unlike other tractors. I got to plow with them in later years when we had a brand new D-15 bought on state matching funds for the Blanchester FFA School farm. We had plowing contests and taught a lot of plowing about the time the chisel plow hit the scene.

I did like watching the soil roll under the plow bottom and I don't know of anyone who didn't like the smell of fresh soil plowed up. But we chiseled only a few years before we rented the White NoTill planter in 1976 and haven't plowed since.

I never cared that much for plowing but thanks for the memories.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)