AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

making 200bpa ground out of 150bpa ground....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

canadianeh?
Posted 10/19/2012 09:45 (#2649164 - in reply to #2649049)
Subject: Re: making 200bpa ground out of 150bpa ground....

Saskatchewan, big whitetail country!!!
I would suggest you actually pinpoint what the soil differences are. You said soil type and depth? Is that it? Is it ph, is it texture? What precisely is causing it to be 150 ground vs. 200. Is it actually drainage? Before making suggestions, I would ask these things regarding the actual soil properties. You can change and improve a lot of things about a soil, but if you are talking loam vs. clay loam, etc., you can never expect to improve the texture unless you haul on clay to make it a clay loam! To me, at least up here, as long as texture is the same, a shallow soil with 2 per cent om can produce identically to a deep soil with 9 per cent om, provided it gets babied a bit with nutrients and other management. But my soils that have a lighter texture, though manure will improve them somewhat, can never be expected to produce the same as my heavier stuff, year in year out. Texture can not be changed. Almost everything else can be. I have some soil here that is naturally awesome, and some that is naturally poor. But no tillage and proper nutrient inputs, ph, etc. had made the poor stuff catch up and often yield better than it is "supposed to" based on its soil type vs. the better soil.

Unless the texture is different. No amount of cover crops, miracle radishes, rotation or manure can ever correct a basic defficiency in texture, if that is the yield limiting factor. I would suggest to walk the land, dig many holes, and texture it, smell it, roll in it! But when I say dig, I mean dig deep to see what is there. What is actually there. I know I am not from the corn belt, but soil quality factors are pretty much the same everywhere. Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)