AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Seems like I replace a lot of parts on my JD planter!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Millhouse
Posted 6/14/2006 22:38 (#19525)
Subject: Seems like I replace a lot of parts on my JD planter!

I don't mind the labor involved but the parts seem to really add up dollars. I average a little over 140 acres per row each year in mostly irrigated no-till conditions. I admit I probably replace many parts on the early side of being needed, but I figure with a no-till system, or any other system, the planter needs to be in tip-top shape. I've only run a JD planter. Do they all require as much yearly replacement parts and maintenance? My JD completed its 9th season and continues to show more stress cracks and loosening of bushings, hinges and other components. Do other units last any longer or is it about the same for all? I know most current planter designs are 30 years old and based on a conventional tillage program. Is there any talk of any company reinventing a planter unit for todays heavy trash, bigger acres, and no-till planting? I feel current designs are working well but am surprised something totally new hasn't come around These are just questions I have as I spend a few hours each day getting my planter put back together for next year.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)