AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Polaris 400
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Butch...Mn
Posted 6/15/2006 07:10 (#19607 - in reply to #19522)
Subject: RE: Polaris 400

It has been a few years since I have pulled a clutch now, but at one time I was removing them constantly in my former snowmobile days. You don't need a special puller, merely make your own. There are a lot of different clutch dimensions, but start with a 3/4" fine thread bolt that will fit the inside of your clutch. Do some measuring to determine how long of a spacer you need to use between the end of your bolt and the end of the crankshaft. Make sure it is long enough so that the bolt does not bottom out in the threads. Use a 5/8" rod for your spacer. Now simply zip it off with a air wrench.

To reinstall, do not use an air wrench. Most of the snowmobile clutches were torqued to 40 ft-#. Use a strap wrench to hold clutch while torqueing the center bolt. Put the strap wrench on the in most sheave of the clutch, not the outer sheave or you may loosen the spider and jam nut. Use of an air wrench for this step can possibly overtighten the clutch and/or change the torque settings on the spider and lock nut. As mentioned above, make sure that all "X" marks of the clutch are aligned for balance purposes. I hope that this helps. If you have any other questions, just ask.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)