AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me understand cattle farmers mentality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

southernokie
Posted 10/5/2012 14:36 (#2625180 - in reply to #2622659)
Subject: Re: help me understand cattle farmers mentality

In a grass based system, you market the forage not the animal genetics! In a feedlot, you market the ration not the animal geneitcs! Premium animal sale can be had based on 'coat color', 'lack of ear' and/or 'certified breed'...so there is a place for animal genetics. Problem is few understand how to manage forage to limit the need of supplemental feed and harvested forage...that is 'forage management'....instead most focus on the animal side looking for the majic bullet like those on the farming side. Mineral supplements offset soil deficiency. One 'golden rule', "The more hay you grow the more hay you will feed!" What about more grazing and less hay? If it can be cut for hay then it can also be grazed?...some are following this route. I undertand the stomach of a cow very well so understanding the soil isn't much different.....pasture soil deficiences in gereral here? shortage of Ca and manure...caveats of pH science and no rotational grazing...when 'pasture pimples' start to disappear one is 'getting close'!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)