AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

help me understand cattle farmers mentality
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

DixieDeere
Posted 10/4/2012 12:01 (#2623249 - in reply to #2622659)
Subject: Re: help me understand cattle farmers mentality

Jackson County, AL
Very few cowmen around here ever understood that they had to put something back into the ground and there are even fewer of them left. I have a buddy whose dad has always tried to do it right and it shows. They have nice, lush pastures and hay when the rain falls and its very noticeable next to their neighbors who do little or nothing. Also, few cattlemen here spray hay and pastures anymore. 2-4D is cheap and would help us row crop guys as well since they are growing nice seed crops of resistant marestail so the wind can move it around. Its fairly well known who the moneymaking cattle operators are and you can see the difference in how they take care of their pasture and hay land. We put in a pasture for a neighbor last year and the beans on it cut over 40bu (very good for last year here) and the corn on around 50ac went 174 bu this year (also very good as yield monitor showed in the 230 bu range in some areas). It was rested but it would have been interesting to see its potential with fertility maintained over the last 10-15 years.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)