AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why didnt I go away from notill sooner?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 9/25/2012 12:40 (#2608384 - in reply to #2608021)
Subject: Re: Why didnt I go away from notill sooner?

Martinsville, Ohio
Oh I used to do my share of that so I am guilty as charged. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink, even if you salt his oats sometimes!

It's a personal choice and I don't see anyone making anyone do something they don't want to do.

My non GMO corn breaks down quicker so that's one help, a healthier overall soil breaks down stalks much quicker so that's another. Many of us use AMS to help break down stalks and many are going to more shredding type corn heads to help break down stalks.

Most simply till the stalks with good results, some strip till and a few notill. There is no one answer for anyone's farm but I do think you can make any of them work.

I know Eddie is a good farmer and believes in notill, so if he is asking how to make notill corn on corn work then you know it isn't easy.

I was all notill corn on corn in 2005, it's just easier for me to notill beans after corn than it is corn. We live in a good soybean region so I guess we are using corn for a rotational crop!

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)