AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Huge lump on side of neck of cow
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GCAT
Posted 9/21/2012 23:32 (#2603116)
Subject: Huge lump on side of neck of cow

Eastern Kansas
I've got a first calf heifer with probably a 400 lb heifer calf on her side that come up with a lump on the right side of her neck last week. Went and caught her off pasture this afternoon and took her home. Lump had really grown, probably bigger than a volleyball. Got her home and stuck it, holy crap I've never seen so much infection. Not sure if it was a snake bite that started it or what. Anyway we cut it open and let it drain, then took a garden hose and flushed it out real good three or four times, then we shot some iodine spray in there to help with infection and sprayed the cut real good where we cut her open, then gave her a dose of Biomycin 200.

I've seen cows many times get small lumps on their necks or what not, but this was unreal. I'm just glad it was Dad that cut her open and not me. His hand's gonna stink for a week.

I took a couple pictures but not sure I want to post them. Maybe I'll try to take some more as she heals and then post them all at once in a couple weeks so guys can reference what we did in the future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)