AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Huge lump on side of neck of cow
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

GCAT
Posted 9/21/2012 23:32 (#2603116)
Subject: Huge lump on side of neck of cow

Eastern Kansas
I've got a first calf heifer with probably a 400 lb heifer calf on her side that come up with a lump on the right side of her neck last week. Went and caught her off pasture this afternoon and took her home. Lump had really grown, probably bigger than a volleyball. Got her home and stuck it, holy crap I've never seen so much infection. Not sure if it was a snake bite that started it or what. Anyway we cut it open and let it drain, then took a garden hose and flushed it out real good three or four times, then we shot some iodine spray in there to help with infection and sprayed the cut real good where we cut her open, then gave her a dose of Biomycin 200.

I've seen cows many times get small lumps on their necks or what not, but this was unreal. I'm just glad it was Dad that cut her open and not me. His hand's gonna stink for a week.

I took a couple pictures but not sure I want to post them. Maybe I'll try to take some more as she heals and then post them all at once in a couple weeks so guys can reference what we did in the future.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
t-boss
Posted 9/22/2012 00:36 (#2603199 - in reply to #2603116)
Subject: Re: Huge lump on side of neck of cow

sc ia
It's anyone's guess as to what causes those abscesses. It might be foreign material or it might just be the bovine version of a zit.
angus man
Posted 9/22/2012 07:10 (#2603286 - in reply to #2603199)

N E Illinois
Probably an infection from a shot? Vaccine or other injectable
proud2Bafarmer
Posted 9/22/2012 08:26 (#2603389 - in reply to #2603286)

Baldwin City, KS
Had lumps like that before that either went away, or stayed the same all summer then eventually disappeared by following spring. Haven't ever really tried messing with one, figuring they would just absorb at some point. Never have seen one do what you're talking about. Did it appear to bring the cow down otherwise, or was it just some benign lump? You pretty much have to take a shot at dealing with something that size for danged sure.
cr39
Posted 9/22/2012 09:49 (#2603552 - in reply to #2603286)

I've seen ones on cows that were baseball size but not any bigger. My vet said it was from giving it a shot with a dirty needle. When you're working cows, don't set the needles down on a dirty table or barrell.
Tim in WI
Posted 9/22/2012 12:26 (#2603707 - in reply to #2603116)
Subject: RE: Huge lump on side of neck of cow

Embarrass WI

Every so often we'll have someting similar on one of our dairy cows....maybe once every 2-3 years and we have ~250 head milking and dry. All we have ever done is make a hole and let the pus drain out. Stinks like hell, I will try to massage it to work all the bad stuff out, maybe even again the next day or two. Have never had one turn into anything serious, even a frail dainty dairy cow isn't bothered. I can't remember ever even having to give antibiotics, I would if the cow had a fever.

ccjersey
Posted 9/22/2012 20:13 (#2604138 - in reply to #2603116)

Faunsdale, AL
Just make a big enough hole and make it on the lowest part of the lump.
bullhauler
Posted 9/22/2012 22:15 (#2604372 - in reply to #2603286)

Denhoff,ND right in the center of the State
My neighbor had a bull with a huge lump on his cheek like you described, he took his deer rifle and shot through it, I guess the $h-t really flew out of it. Terry
t-boss
Posted 9/22/2012 22:52 (#2604430 - in reply to #2604372)

sc ia
bullhauler - 9/22/2012 21:15

My neighbor had a bull with a huge lump on his cheek like you described, he took his deer rifle and shot through it, I guess the $h-t really flew out of it. Terry

You might be a redneck if......................................................................................
feelnrite
Posted 9/23/2012 11:34 (#2605105 - in reply to #2604430)

northwest tennessee
Man I thought I had heard it all. If I had been the bull after that I would have been gone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)