AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How's your strip till lookin' ?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/15/2006 18:16 (#19727 - in reply to #19719)
Subject: Pop-up fertilizer in spring strip till

Driftless SW Wisconsin
Our Pluribus units mix dry fertilizer very thoroughly - like putting soil and fertilizer in a blender.

We have a number of customers who have taken popup off of their planter and when it comes time to plant they just load corn in the hoppers and plant. Generally you have a much wider time window to make strips than you do to plant. The dispersion of fertilizer in the strip seems to serve as a pop-up.

I do have to qualify this in that there are times and situations where the strip as it is being made is not all loose and friable. I ran into this in my own heavy wet WI clay in spots. It wasn't until a day or so later that the strip fractured into a reasonable place to plant. Greywolf saw the same thing in his combine unloading area and very heavy wet black soils. In these conditions the fertilizer is probably NOT dispersed enough to serve as pop-up.

We also have a new center coulter liquid application option for the Pluribus that puts say 12-15 gal of 10-34-0 liquid right down the middle of the strip yet thoroughly mixed in with moist soil. You could couple this with high gallon 28% or 32% down the side and have a one pass liquid system. K is usually the problem in liquid systems or just have the coop broadcast 0-0-60 dry as usual.

I hope this gives you a feel for the factors involved. Usually, the answer to your question is "yes" our type of strip till can reduce the need for popup on the planter.

Jim at Dawn

Edited by Jim 6/15/2006 18:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)