AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

organics opposition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Kooiker
Posted 9/14/2012 08:53 (#2590613 - in reply to #2590302)
Subject: Re: organics opposition

Conventional farmers already limit fertilizer and pesticide use to only what is needed to raise the best crop possible, both yield and nutrition wise.   We don't go about mindlessly spraying chemicals and applying fertilizer that does no good, those things cost too much money to use more than what is needed.

Organic farmers raise the best crop they possibly can with 1950's techniques so that their customers can have a warm fuzzy feeling when they go grocery shopping believeing that what they are buying is "environmentally friendly" (hello erosion) and "better".

In order to continue to feed a growing population we need to raise as much food value off of every acre as we possibly can without doing damage to the environment, including erosion.

You get the most food value off of an acre by producing as much as possible, not by producing less of the "better, healthier, nutritious crop for everyone".

This country has the most advanced agriculture production in the world and also enjoys the most abundant, most nutritious, safest, healthiest and cheapest food supply in the world.      That is NOT a coincidence.

Compare our food supply and production techniques to that of the starving countries in other parts of the world.   Their organic not because they want to be but because its all they know.

I don't blame anyone for raising/selling organic crops taking money from suckers.     I find fault with those suckers that believe the mantra of "better, healthier, nutritious crop" and believe that we could feed everyone without using all of the technology that is available. 

Those organic consumers by using more resources to produce the food that they consume are taking food production away from someone else somewhere in the world, likely someone that needs it a lot more than they do.

That is why I have a problem with organic.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)