AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

organics opposition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

GoldenLeaf
Posted 9/12/2012 13:08 (#2587523 - in reply to #2587461)
Subject: Re: organics opposition

Eastern NC
I would like to second what macc4440 said as well as stating that one very big concern that I have with the whole organic hype is that there is absolutely no way to verify the processes that have been used to produce it. I can make a long list of violations that I have seen in the area around where I farm. I see shipping containers of corn that are imported from South America that are "certified organic" and when I ask the user how they can be sure that the corn is really organic the response is simply, "it doesn't matter to me if it is really organic as long as I have all the right paperwork". I have also seen people spray Orthene on their produce once a week and take it to the local farmers market and sell it out of the back of a pickup truck and represent it as Fresh, Homegrown, Locally Produced, Organic, and any other keyword that people like to hear. I do not oppose organics because I have no problem with someone wanting to buy a product that was grown "the old fashioned way" but I think that most of the consumers of those products are oblivious to the fact that we as farmers could never feed a hungry world with those types of practices. I think there is also a bit of arrogance associated with the organic buyer in that most of them do not understand that most people could not afford to pay 50-100% more each week to go to the grocery and fill up a cart with organic food.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)