AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can't get a flat faced skidloader coupler to hook up!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

tomosakis
Posted 9/10/2012 06:47 (#2584046)
Subject: Can't get a flat faced skidloader coupler to hook up!

Osakis, MN
I bought a new rock grapple, the female hydraulic plug on the bucket won't hook up. Seems as if it needs to go on about another 1/8" or so to latch. Coupler has stamped on the side of it in bold letters, CHINA . What would you do to try to get it attached? I tried tapping on the back of the coupler to force it on the male coupler, no such luck! Its a Stout branded attachment.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Gerard
Posted 9/10/2012 07:00 (#2584052 - in reply to #2584046)
Subject: Re: Can't get a flat faced skidloader coupler to hook up!

Woodham, Ontario
Just get a new coupler. Seems dirt gets stuck in them over time and they get to be hard to use.
4apark
Posted 9/10/2012 07:03 (#2584055 - in reply to #2584046)

Southwestern IL
Your probably going to have to crack a line to relieve pressure. That's the bummer with the flat style couplers you can't just tap the end on something.
funfarmr
Posted 9/10/2012 07:15 (#2584067 - in reply to #2584055)

Ohio
X2.
srsu99
Posted 9/10/2012 07:33 (#2584087 - in reply to #2584046)

Central / West Texas
Does your skid steer have a pressure release button. On some of them you can turn the key to run, but dont start, release the parking brake and toggle the auxilary controls to release the pressure on the skid steer side. If there is pressure in the attachment side you pretty much have to crack open a line to get the pressure out. If you have someone helping you you can insurt the two together as you do the above mention action and they will then plug together, usually!
Chuck WI
Posted 9/10/2012 07:43 (#2584096 - in reply to #2584046)

I have used WD40 around the release collar on the female end and worked it back and forth with a hammer and punch. That is if you can't get it to snap in, if it won't move at all then you have a pressure issue.

Chuck
jedeka
Posted 9/10/2012 08:04 (#2584123 - in reply to #2584046)

Boone, Iowa
I found out that there are two styles of flat faced connectors. Bobcat and John Deere are the same, but Case is different. If you got the male side hooked up, I would think you have pressure in the line or it is rusty, like the others have suggested. I would look at the male fitting on the machine side and compare it to the male fitting on the grapple bucket. The difference is in the depth of the leading shoulder on the male fitting.
hillfarmer
Posted 9/10/2012 08:18 (#2584142 - in reply to #2584123)

old and new case is different also
Yooperwing
Posted 9/10/2012 08:21 (#2584146 - in reply to #2584046)
Subject: RE: Can't get a flat faced skidloader coupler to hook up!

UP of Michigan- North coast of USA
I got tired of fighting my Bobcat flat face couplers so I replaced with regular Pioneer. Works good.
Sodbustr
Posted 9/10/2012 08:22 (#2584148 - in reply to #2584123)

Western Iowa
Jedeka is right on, there are 2 different couplers. I don't know if they are supposed to be different, but they are......
tomosakis
Posted 9/10/2012 08:48 (#2584189 - in reply to #2584148)

Osakis, MN
The skidloader is a Newholland L 185 if that makes a difference. I have rented several attachments before that all worked just fine.
German Shepherd
Posted 9/10/2012 08:53 (#2584199 - in reply to #2584189)

I went through that on my old LS170.  There are two types of flat faced couplers.

TD15
Posted 9/10/2012 09:03 (#2584211 - in reply to #2584046)

Like others have said there are different couplers, if you look at the #'s on the side of the couplers you should be able to match up the right ones.
DeereMan85
Posted 9/10/2012 09:42 (#2584263 - in reply to #2584046)

Iowa
Often the problem is due to pressure buildup in the attachment caused by change in temperature. You may need to open the couplers on the attachment to relieve pressure there. The best way to prevent this is to hook the attachment couplers together when not hooked to the machine. This also helps keep the couplers clean.
steerstopper
Posted 9/10/2012 09:51 (#2584279 - in reply to #2584123)

Can the 2 different styles work together ? I have a bobcat with the same problem but i do manage to get it hooked up although it can be difficult . If it means buying the proper coupler I'll do it in a heartbeat.
Hay Hud Ohio
Posted 9/10/2012 09:57 (#2584285 - in reply to #2584046)

SW Ohio
I run into that a lot also. It is caused somewhat by the temp of the oil and no place for pressure to go. Also one side is easier is have pressure and the other is impossible, male vs female but I can't remember which! Many times I have to loosen a fitting to let a few drops out before it will go. Ditto on the release button on some machines but not all have them. Just try to unhook when hot and hook when cold.
FlyLow
Posted 9/10/2012 10:00 (#2584289 - in reply to #2584263)

South Texas

+1

joe4
Posted 9/10/2012 10:00 (#2584291 - in reply to #2584046)

I find on my grapple its the temp change when the two have been unhooked for a while.. Need to crack the lines on the grapple to relieve pressure… If you unhook and reattach within an hour most likely not an issue.. Unhook it in the morning and reattach on a sunny afternoon the line pressure builds up. We leave a set of those wrenches in skid steer to bleed a little pressure off. At least try it before you go buy a couple hundred dollars of new flat face fittings
RodInNS
Posted 9/10/2012 11:45 (#2584380 - in reply to #2584046)

I'd probably start by installing pioneer couplers on everything....

If pressure is the problem I usually just turn the key on and work the valve handle to release any back pressure in the system.

Rod
warpspeed
Posted 9/10/2012 11:47 (#2584381 - in reply to #2584380)

SW Ohio
on my jd250 i turn the key off & toggle the accessory lever back and forth as I push the flatface connectors together
Skipper
Posted 9/10/2012 14:03 (#2584479 - in reply to #2584123)

jedeka - 9/10/2012 07:04

I found out that there are two styles of flat faced connectors. Bobcat and John Deere are the same, but Case is different. If you got the male side hooked up, I would think you have pressure in the line or it is rusty, like the others have suggested. I would look at the male fitting on the machine side and compare it to the male fitting on the grapple bucket. The difference is in the depth of the leading shoulder on the male fitting.

+1 or 2 or whatever #

Needed to go on the job so removed one loader fitting and one attachement fitting and reinstalled on appropriate lines so one set of hoses is the old style and the other side is the new style.

We DID change them back AS SOON as we took the attachement off!!
Greg Stremel
Posted 9/10/2012 14:53 (#2584529 - in reply to #2584046)

Southwest Missouri
Sometimes they go bad. This weekend one decided to stop working. It would not connect like you have described. It was on my grapple bucket which has been hooked up many time. It would not hook up to other ends. I just changed it to a new one I had on the shelf.

Edited by Greg Stremel 9/10/2012 16:27
tomosakis
Posted 9/10/2012 15:11 (#2584536 - in reply to #2584046)

Osakis, MN
It was the female coupler on the bucket, they would hook together male to female effortlessly on the lines on the bucket. I took one off the old grapple fork and it worked just fine. It appears that the only difference is in the machined indentation on the male coupler on my skidloader. New coupler just will not snap on it for some stupid reason!
Noonan
Posted 9/10/2012 23:06 (#2585263 - in reply to #2584046)

Southwest Iowa
agree with crack the line let the pressure....Haveo to do it everytime on our grappler lines....but not on the tree puller though..
pudding
Posted 9/11/2012 04:07 (#2585465 - in reply to #2584046)

Somewhereville, Earth
love these responeses using pioneer couplers, not my choice, flat face is designed to handle higher pulse levels from industrial attachments, suppose to be be cleaner, and just so happen to connect under pressure better

you could have residual pressure in the lines, you could have a coupler that has a oval collar, from impact damage or enthusiastic use of pipe wrenches and hammers lol. after reading your later post, maybe the race on the male that the ball bearings sit in has a worn raise edge on it? you should be able to feel it, might be a little to much for that new couple

there is many sized of flat face couplers and people here say that some are different to others, but as you will find if you go to a good hyd shops, couplers are sold on the port size in the back of it, and flow it can handle, its a little weird, but its not the worlds biggest mystery, actually some are so close you can push them together, and they won't connect

my personal fav if you are not a flat face coupler fan, and have residual line pressure issues is actually rock breaker couplers, i have used these on 3rd service on loader tractors before, it allows you to use a spanner (wrench for you yanks) to pull them together on the thread. they handle pulse well, and are generally pretty durable. once again a good hyd shop should be able to help you with those

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)