AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another Question For Jim @ Dawn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 6/14/2006 03:12 (#19359 - in reply to #19198)
Subject: Curvetine closing wheels in worked ground and cornstalks.

Driftless SW Wisconsin
One of the strong points of our Curvetgine closing wheel is that it is useful in both no till and worked ground. Very few customers want to change closing wheels on a 12 row (24 closing wheels), to 24 row (48 closing wheels) or wider planter between worked and no till ground.

The Curved tine provides some floatation and seed to soil contact in worked as well as no till. Here is a link to a series of photos showing a customer no-till planting 30" beans into 30" corn stalks and weeds.

http://www.dawnequipment.com/wisc%20notill%20profile.htm

He is using a row cleaner/coulter combo up front. Especially on 15" beans into 30" cornstalks most customers run a coulter only - no Trashwheels (although we can run our 2003 combo on some planters on 15").

If you are not using a row cleaner then I would strongly recommend adding our aluminum press plate to the Curvetine to keep the teeth from spearing stalks but still chipping in the sidewall and closing the slot. The press plate is only 1/2" wide not 1" as a std rubber tire. It also has the teeth still protruding to chip in the sidewall. The press plate is easily bolted on or removed from the Curvetine without removing the closing wheel. Some folks run the Curvetine less press plate when planting corn early into wet conditions then add the press plate when planting later beans. In worked ground the press plate produces much the same closure as a rubber tire but still breaks up sidewall compaction and generally eliminates the slot reopening.

A consistent closing system which will work well in a wide range of tillage systems and residue is two Curvetines per row, one with a pressplate.

Off topic - there have been a number of specific questions to me lately. I don't mind sharing some ideas but it does take time. If I am going to take the time to reply, I ask that folks at least register and use a consistent NAT name, not the nameless "Guest". I like to know who I am talking to. jmho.

Jim at Dawn
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)