AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

JD 4710 fuel related problem--revisited!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 6/12/2006 21:23 (#19027)
Subject: JD 4710 fuel related problem--revisited!

South Central Kansas, Harper County
I purchased this sprayer back in April, if I remember correctly, and havent really gotten it running correctly yet! I'll refresh your memory, it will generally start, but sometimes if it sits for a few minutes, I have to use the primer pump to get it started. Once it's running, I "used" to go fairly well, but could expect some "hesitation" and a "bog down" feeling at differant times. It never died on my(at first) but would slow down considerably, sometimes I would stop and it would pickup and run again. I replaced all the packing in the lines coming from the fuel tank through the filter and back to injector pump. Admittantly, some of the packing was very "frazzled". Each time I found something that might contribute to the problem, I felt relieved until I tried to run again, and some old problems would reappear. The last time I tried to run it, it died on me several times in the field and I had to use the primer pump, constantly, just to get to the edge of the field. JD tech thought it was ball check valve in the injector pump, letting the fuel bleed back instead of staying put, sounded like a good explanation to me, so he ordered the part. Meanwhile, my sprayer sat idle for 3 days until the part came in. I was busy cutting wheat, so really didnt push the issue. Part came in Sat, tech came out and put it on, also checked screen/filter in hose at bottom of tank, said all looked fine, except detected some water in fuel, so suggested I put in fuel conditioner. Said he run motor for several minutes and it never died, so told me to give it a try. I was on a combine at the time, conversing with him over a cell phone. When I got home that night about 11:30, I poured in the fuel conditioner, let it run for about 30 minutes and then started out down the road. I got about 50 yards, it started bogging down and DIED! I used the primer pump, and got it started and limped back into the farmyard. JD tech that did the work was off today, so I couldnt talk to him. Other people(the past few weeks) suggested I put an inline electric fuel pump in the system, as there opinion was the injector pump suction part was getting weak, and an inline pump might solve the problem. So,,,,today, I picked on up(it rained last night, so couldnt finish cutting wheat today). and just finished putting it in about an hour ago. I started it up and ran it down the road and back total of 4 miles. It ran ok for about 3 miles, never hesitating or acting like it wanted to die, but just felt kind of sluggish as if it just couldnt obtain full RPM. It would only get up to about 2300-2350RPM. About a half mile from home, it kind of hesitated a bit, kind of like a hiccup, then took off again, and never slowed down the rest of the way(although never reaching what I thought was optimum RPM. When tech was checking the screen in the hose at bottom of tank, he drained out about 10 gallon fuel, he said there wasnt any debris in it of any kind, but did dectect some water. Ok, let's hear your opinions, other than I purchased a LEMON!(lol)...So far, I have changed all the packing within the fuel system, cant detect any leaks, replaced o-ring kit in top of fuel filter assembly, replaced fuel filter, replace inline fuel filter, replace primer pump(top piece), took fuel cap off and ran engine to see if there might be some sort of vaccum problem, and through salt over my right shoulder, nothing has helped. Any ideas? I still think it is within the injector pump, but tech doesnt think so.
thanks,
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)