AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wet leg feeding dryer too?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

hardietack
Posted 8/22/2012 00:19 (#2552117 - in reply to #2551664)
Subject: Re: Wet leg feeding dryer too?

SE ND
Yeah i'd say you need some new millwrights. Both guys we've ever had work for us suggested using an overflow system to fill the dryer. Saved me a bunch of money 10 years ago when we first started using that system because we were putting up an 18 tier Grain Handler and I thought I would need three legs. Absolutely not! Just redid the system again last year. Two new legs (10k wet and 5k dry, side by side, 125 ft tall). Saved 90k on a tower and stairs and just tied them to the superstructure of our three existing 3000 bu overhead tanks and used cables the rest of the way up. The two legs dump into a 10 hole 14" swingset distributor but above the distributor on the wet leg pipe there is a three way overflow that uses two electric gates. We then set the wet side of the swingset distributor to the now 24 tier dryer. As we dump trucks the dryer and pipe fill up all the way through the distributor and then overflow into either a 3000 bu overhead cone tank or a 30k bushel flat storage wet bin. We can control which bin they overflow into with the electric slide gates. All in all a simple and pretty idiot proof system.

Dry leg uses same pipes as the wet with the swingset distributor. Some of the smaller bins we only used 10" pipe to because 14" gets really expensive.

Having always reclaimed out of bins into the wet leg and then into a couple overhead 3000 bushel tanks I could not imagine trying to unload todays huge bins with a conveyor or even with a leg without an overhead tank. Absolutely put up an overhead load out tank!!!!!! It's so nice to be able to have a guy loading the tanks or cleaning out a bin continuously while one or two others are trucking. One guy loading a semi in 4 min is great!!!!!!

A big advantage of having the overflow above the distributor is that it makes it almost impossible to plug the wet leg when we are reclaiming out of the bins. If, for instance, the full buzzer on one of the load out tanks doesn't work or i don't hear it the pipe and distributor will just fill up and as long as an electric gate to one of the wet bins is open the corn will just run in there. That is a really nice feature that I didn't even realize I had until I started using it.

Chad, if you'd ever like to take a quick trip up to Rosholt, I'd be happy to show you around. You can probably tell i'm pretty proud of the system and the fact that the upgrade was relatively cheap compared to some of the ideas we contemplated.

Edited by hardietack 8/22/2012 00:30
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)