AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

? about feeding soybean stubble
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

don@nebr
Posted 10/29/2007 20:57 (#228786 - in reply to #225148)
Subject: Re: ? about feeding soybean stubble

I hae used it many ways. IF you can bale it with pods on doesnt make bad feed. Roll it out in muddy springs for calving cows,,,they eat what they want an lay on the rest. makes for a good place for them to have a calf on!!

I also used it free choice in feedlot situation where they were on FULL feed of corn,,,they dont 'overeat' it like hay and they only eat what scratch they want!!

MY best suggestion would be to see IF you can get corn syrup from a local ethanol plant and soak them till they run out of them(laying them on their side first)

And yes cornstalk bales make tons better feed. Sell the bean straw to a local feed lot and bale some stalks for the cows!! Nothing different for them there than running a stalk field all winter!! Best stalks are letting them stand for a week or two IF no rain expected,,,let them dry as much as possible or all you get is a bale of moldy mush. Even dry stalks will smoke like mad first cold snap!! Also take your spreader off and bale right on line where combine dropped husks,concertrating on the husks and NOT the stalks. have tried chopping the stalks and baling,,,that doesnt work too good. A BIG v-rake not set too deep to rip out the stalks and just rake leaves works pretty good sometimes, specially IF you dont cultivate!! Darn hard on balers tho!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)