AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Converting Case IH 183 cult. to sidedress rig
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Carl
Posted 6/12/2006 23:39 (#19095 - in reply to #18928)
Subject: RE: Converting Case IH 183 cult. to sidedress rig

I used a cultivator to sidedress all my corn thirty years ago when I was still teaching school. June application was improved time management as well as an economic plus. I woulld still be using a similar system, but have been getting the wastewater from a facitlity that extracts a few ounces of heperin(blood clot control drug) from semiloads of swome intestinal mucosa. I chose to use ammonia and pulled a trike that had the hitch surrounding the the single front wheel and 120 inch rear axle spread. I also carried a small tank on the cultivator bar for the added capacity and the freedom to drop the trailer when doing the point rows. I used Harlan Manufacturing short knives on the regular JD shanks. Two half sweeps and the knife in the trailing position. The greatest problem was the down suck of the knifes stressed the guage wheel bearings. I went back to the old white iron guage wheel assembly and operated without incident for years. The next generation of improvements used the knives on the Lilliston cultivator. The depth control furninshed by the rolling basket Lilliston design sandwiching the Harlan knife allowed relatively shallow placement without trash complications. I used tent style shields in small corn and waited until the flood prone fields had some big corn, but always liked to do real small corn if the weather permitted. I never liked to cultivate with saddle tanks so I never considered liquid nitrogen sources as an option. I do not think the rear shank on the IHC 183 or the guage wheel assembly would stand the strain of even the short ammonia knife however.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)