AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

cement silo
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

briggsfm
Posted 10/22/2007 06:33 (#224347)
Subject: cement silo

Scottville, 49454 Northwest Michigan
I have a new neighbor that bought a farmstead with about 25 acres. They want to have the cement stave silos removed from their place. I believe they're both Boom silos. One's a 25 footer and the other is a 20 footer. They'd give em away for free if anyone would take them. I told them that maybe they should put an add in an ag trade paper like the Michigan Farm Trader. But I suggested before they spent the money for an ad, I'd check with you guys on this forum to see if you've ever heard of anyone fairly recently tearing down a cement stave silo to be reused. So that's my question. Do you think they would get any responses for a free cement stave silo?

thanks, gordon
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Delmarbe
Posted 10/22/2007 07:12 (#224352 - in reply to #224347)
Subject: RE: cement silo

Hutchinson, MN
Does anyone when they move a house,also move the cement block basement? I've never seen it done. The steel is worth scrap price. Tip them over, salvage the staves that survive and sell them locally for a buck a piece to make sidewalks, or garden borders, any thing a landscaper can dream up. Don't mean to be negative but new the staves cost less than a$1.50, it costs more to have a silo built than the staves are worth. Risk involved and labor cost to salvage used staves, made moving them a foolish idea even 25 years ago.
Gromit
Posted 10/22/2007 08:42 (#224382 - in reply to #224352)

Lac qui Parle County Minnesota
I agree. With all the empty silos in our country, you can hardly even give them away. Not too many new silos going up anymore. If they don't want them, just knock them down.
OMC260
Posted 10/22/2007 09:23 (#224411 - in reply to #224382)

Sioux Center, Iowa
Labor and risks are more than it's worth. Agree, knock it down, salvage the metal and pick out the good staves. Any unloaders?? Electric motors should be worth good money. Unloader cord is worth a bunch too. Or those cords make some really heavy duty extension cords.
9520Deere
Posted 10/22/2007 09:50 (#224434 - in reply to #224347)
Subject: Re: cement silo

Alberta Canada
Why not pu an air floor in and us it as a bin? There are a bunch around us that have done that for wheat and barley. They seem to work good. They are 60-90ft silos though. You could run a leg up it and build your bins around it and have quite the storage site.
Brian_nwIL
Posted 10/22/2007 22:38 (#224811 - in reply to #224347)

South of Moline, 67 to NN, West to 56th
I wish I had an old silo, I'ld build a deck on top of it and have a party place , also somewhere to put the telescope. You could put hand/foot holds all over the outside for rock climbing and a circular sraircase on the inside for thos that want to get up on top the easy way. In the winter time you could run the hose of to the top and let ice farm all over it for some ice climbing. Any other ideas?

How close are you to the lake, I sail by there a couple of times a year on the Mac. Brian
JohnW
Posted 10/23/2007 02:39 (#224959 - in reply to #224411)

NW Washington
I saw a stacked stone retaining wall that a guy had built using concrete silo staves. It was silo owners house. And I guess he did not pay for labor or else he had some farm hands he needed to keep busy.
briggsfm
Posted 10/23/2007 07:06 (#224995 - in reply to #224811)
Subject: pretty close

Brian,

I'm only about twelve miles or so from Lake Michigan. You say you sail by here on the Mac? What's that? Just curious.

gordon
[email protected]
Posted 10/23/2007 12:54 (#225170 - in reply to #224995)
Subject: RE: pretty close

The "MAC" is a sailboat he built from an old silo. He sails it every year from Chicago to Mac Island at the top of the lake. See, there are lots of uses for old silos.
briggsfm
Posted 10/24/2007 06:11 (#225645 - in reply to #225170)
Subject: I never would have quessed that!

thanks for the reply
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [50 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)