AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

John Deere SwathControl
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

1800swath
Posted 8/16/2012 15:29 (#2542673 - in reply to #2542409)
Subject: Re: John Deere SwathControl

Fulton County Ohio
Tractor is a Deere 8110 year 2001. Steering valves installed by dealer. SF2 3000 receiver Updates by dealer every time they come out to test.

Yes the input for the timing of clutches is put into the display by the operator.

The height switch was installed when the swath and guideance system was added to the tractor and planter. In one test it was by-passed to eliminate it as a possible problem.

I plant the end rows first. When referring to the clutches turning on I am measuring the number of rows in the end of the field I travel across that the planter is on when it should not be on. This is an area shown as planted on the coverage map. The planter is turning on in this area. That is the problem I would like to address. When the clutches engage in the previously planted area, the entire planter turns on. Yes, sometimes one side engages slightly before the other. This has been explained by the dealer as due to normal play in the clutch mechanism. If it was a timing issue due to an error in operator input the clutches would not turn on, shut off and reengage in the covered area. They would either turn on and stay on too early or not turn on soon enough. The area of end rows where the planter fails to operate correctly is completely within one width of the planter pass on the end. Thus it is not a matter of the guess row in the end rows. I make three passes on the end. When turning on the end to start another pass in the field I drop the planter in roughly half the width of the planter. It takes this much room to have the planter settled and the fertilizer engage before entering the unplanted area.

If and when Deere returns my rate controller I will check software. To date I have only watched the dealer put a thumb drive in the display while he claims to be updating software. He has stated his concern to always have the latest and greatest as that is the first question Deere asks when he calls D-tech.

When I return home I can pull details and correct names for the equipment. The steering is Deere integrated valves, not added to the steering column or wheel. This 8110 drives straighter than my 8130 with the same sf2 level of service and factory valves. Yes both units have current software. Yes everything is Deere. No combination of other equipment. Yes the 1800 display has been swapped out to eliminate that as an issue. The radar did fail on the 8110. It was replaced with an after market satelite receiver years prior to purchasing the SF2 service. As I understand, the 3000 receiver supplies the signal for distance/speed as currently configured.

There may be plenty I do not know about the system. What I do know is the system has never worked as advertised. I do not want to wait for a third season to arrive with unfulfilled promises from Deere.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)