AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

15 inch vs 30 inch beans
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

M
Posted 6/13/2006 08:24 (#19165 - in reply to #19030)
Subject: RE: 15 inch vs 30 inch beans

Noone talks about the advantage to planting early. I believe u of ia did planting date studies showing planting beans early had a yield advantage. So if you have the manpower, planting beans and corn the same time takes out some of the one planter advantage.
If you look at my post Ron, I beleive I stated most farmers could lower there pops in the row width they are at instead of widening there rows to lower seed costs and possibly yield too!! So SOME of us seed salesman are requesting lowering populations. If you remember many of my posts in the past I am one who doesn't like thick planted beans. I have my theory of pod to stem ratio. I like to see more pods and less stems . I am a real firm believer in narrow rows especially the futher north you go, the later you plant, or the more variable your ground. As I have stated before lowering pops in narrow rows helps with white mold control to a point, variety selection is WAY more important in that aspect.
What type of soil was becks plot in, flat black well tiled?? or hilly variable ground?? Location??Central Ill would not have the yield advantage to narrow rows as would northern Ill.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)